Wednesday, November 23, 2011

TDMWWS: Infatuation is bad, and not real


It’s amazing how powerful infatuation can be…even for the smart and intuitive ones that know better. I was infatuated. With a person I will refer to as “Lust.” I thought Lust was the greatest thing and he could do no harm. The truth is, Lust has a LOT of good qualities…aside from being very attractive and sexy, he is extremely smart, ambitious, and has already traveled the world at a young age. A very appealing candidate for me. And all of his “stupid acts” I brushed off as immaturity. And yes, most of them were. But there were a few BIG warning signs an infatuated person does not see. LOVE is NOT blind. Infatuation is.
I’m not sure how I got so carried away. That’s never happened to me before. Yes, looking back, my previous relationships all had a level of infatuation involved. But none this great. And never had I had to suffer such repercussions.
When one is infatuated, you put that other person on a pedestal. And you start conforming to their ways. You slowly start to lose yourself. Well luckily for me, I could be infatuated from afar, as Lust and I never lived in the same place. I had put him on a pedestal, but I hadn’t conformed…..until we were finally living in the same place for 3 weeks. Being in the same place we finally had the chance to get to know one another. In the past, Lust and I always “played it cool”—nothing serious. Well now Mr. Cool was having reactions the complete opposite of “playing it cool” and was acting jealous and insecure. At first I took this as a positive sign---“oh good he does like me!” Infatuation made me have blur vision. And I slowly started changing my character…. I wasn’t being “me”---and deep down, I knew it wasn’t healthy, but I wanted Lust to be real and true. The fact is, I started seeing these signs about a month before we were living in the same place…because we were getting closer, and perhaps he was letting his guard down a bit.
Infatuation didn’t let me see anything clearly. I look back on things that happened nearly a year ago and ask myself, “are you serious, you just ‘accepted’ that?” In the last few months, I built a world for us….a happy fantasy world. I ignored all of the red flags because that is what you do when you are infatuated. I didn’t SEE. After our so-called “relationship” ended, I discovered some big lies he told me…..wow, double side-swiped. I was not only depressed and felt a great sense of loss because of something I created so magical in my head was now gone, but now I know Lust (infatuation) is a liar…double blow to my fantasy world. What was this reality? Who was this real person?
Don’t we become wiser with age? How is it I never dealt with such bullshit before? I mean, I suppose we all have to at some point….but wow. Maybe had I not been so infatuated, I could have seen, really seen, Lust for who he is. The real him. Who he really is, is not at all the person I put on that pedestal. Poor guy, that was a lot for him to live up to. I wanted to love the person I created, the fictitious person I believed in. A very dangerous thing when that person was never real.

Cheers to reality, and loving from that place. Because if you can love knowing all that is real, then you know you’ve found real love.

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive writing Maria. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but be grateful for every moment. Much love, Charles

    ReplyDelete